Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Long overdue re-organizing

The last few days I have decided to completely re-organize my entire home. I couldn't stand the clutter and chaos any longer. So last night I went to Walmart and picked up some shelving units and storage boxes. I removed everything from one of my closets, threw out 2 bags of old clothing that I will never wear, and basically organized it so well I can't believe I never thought of this before.  It has such a better energy now. I don't have to sift through art supplies, canvases, and perfume bottles (they need to be in a cool place) that I had stacked on the floor. Now everything has it's place. 

Today's project is the kitchen, and I am being ruthless, throwing out old recipes that I have torn out of magazines over the years. I figure with the internet, and so many online recipe sites, why would you keep loose pieces of paper? Oh, and the fact that I really don't cook anything that fancy may have something to do with it, lol!

This still life painting you see has been sitting unfinished, started in an acrylics class I had taken many years ago. It was done on the last date of the class, and I remember it well because we had a blizzard that night, and me and another gentlemen were the only ones that showed up, haha! So we got lots of attention from the instructor. She had us stand at our easel, and made sure we painted with a thick brush, very loosely, and at arm's length from the canvas. I had never painted this way and it felt awkward, but in a way,  very liberating. I feel like I could see the shadow and shapes much better this way. I've always loved this painting, probably because I was surprised I could paint this way.
Maybe this weekend would be a good time to finally finish it, so that I can display it - unless I completely mess it up, lol!  We shall see.....

15 comments:

Lisa said...

i am TOTALLY inspired to do the same now. I already had tomorrow set aside for some garage cleaning...but when I wake tomorrow I'm going to re-read your post - particularly the part about the good energy - and tackle the whole house!

Yay - thank you!

Jaime Haney said...

Hi Pink! I love your painting, what more will you do to it?

I need some of that organization mojo sent this way.. I desperately need it! good for you!

Judy said...

I hope your cleaning energy will rub off on me. I've started cleaning... but still have a long way to go! Paints everywhere!... and stuff, and more stuff!

Julia Christie said...

I love this painting.

And Good for you! I think we may be moving soon and even though I am a minimalist, I will be throwing out (or garage saling) tons.

I love the liberation of a good housekeeping cleanse.

Smiles

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Good for you for getting rid off clutter. :) I may organize from time to time but soon fall back into clutter.
Love your still life painting. :)

Sueann said...

I am inspired too! My house has gotten so cluttered with "stuff"!!! It is definitely time for a purge! As soon as I finish this art project...I will begin a serious purge!!
Thanks
Hugs
SueAnn

Marlene said...

Doesn't it feel good to be organized? I love your painting just the way it is, looks finished to me.

Heather said...

I should be cleaning and organizing like you, rather than sitting on the computer! HA HA

Oh well, I like the painting you did!

Heather

Kathy L said...

I think you should finish the painting! It reminds me of an early Picasso and I am not kidding. It is wonderful and very different from your current work.

Unknown said...

Doesn't it feel great to re-organize everything! Let me know when you would like to go junking with me!

Sandy xox

Anonymous said...

Betty,
feels good to organize doesn't it?
also,
I have done the same recently with something I did many yrs ago.. I sat down and stared at it remembering the entire day of the friends who surrounded me and all the great memories of that day needless to say the "ART" you created is so cool.. yes, I would love to STAND and paint.. hard to do when you are doing such detail work!

Thank you for sharing this.

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Betty! Good for you on re-organizing! I just went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago and it feels so much better to de-clutter. Your still life painting looks magical already! Sending you creative vibes! :)

Lauren said...

Your painting is wonderful! I have a little award for you on my blog :) Have a wonderful day, Lauren

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wow I wish I could completely organize my house, I don't know where we get so much clutter, I started a while back and did my cupboards in the kitchen, threw out a lot of old food, and did the fridge. I had plans to do the whole house, but they must have fallen out the window! lol So good for you, keep with it, maybe I will be inspired by you! lol

That painting is beautiful!

readingsully2 said...

The still life is neat. I have been going through my closets. I have hauled at least four large garbage bags away....and that is just two closets.It is a great feeling though.