Sunday, November 6, 2011

New Art


hi friends. Did you remember to turn back your clocks? This is so much better than in the spring when we lose an hour. However, be prepared, because it will now get dark a little after 5,  lol!

I've always loved painting shabby folk art girls, but never used beeswax as a finish. Normally I use a nice satin varnish, but for the next few, beeswax will be the way to go. It smells divine! and it really does give your paintings a glorious, dreamy finish.   I see these little canvases as experiments, where I get to play, and try out new things. 
The first one I did yesterday  looked great,  until I added the beeswax. I must have scraped off some paint, because there was dark smudges on her face, and there is no way to fix it. I should have known not to experiment on the more expensive wooden canvases,  she is now heading for the trash...oh well, live and learn.



 This angel painting is more my usual style. She was made  for an auction for charity. I can't seem to get away from putting little kittens in my angels' arms though, lol! She turned out pretty good, that I will be offering prints in my Etsy shop. With all the craziness of this world,  we can all use more angels.

I hope everything is good where you all are, thanks for reading!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Your painting are always so dreamy and whimsical. I have never tried wax you mentioned (don't know if I get it from Finland). People do need more kind of these inspirational angels:) And I love those little kitties.

Artistic greetings
NIina

Mindy said...

You don't have to throw it away! Just keep melting the wax untill it's gone, and then repaint over it! I use a little bit of gel medium over the faces before adding wax. Also use a small iron, slowly for the face. Trust me! I've messed up before too! :)

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love your sweet girls. So pretty!! I agree...the wax finish is so dreamy. :)

SaraLynnArt said...

We definitely can all use a sweet little angel! I also love the girl on top - the shape of her lips is great!

Lee Pierce said...

Lovely new ones, Betty! Sorry about the misfire :(

Jeannette said...

I have only tried wax once on an Altered Book I made long ago.I have always thought encaustics could be lots of fun.Your creations are so beautiful.

I have a new blog address now and would love for you to stop by and say hi.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks for reminding me, I have a nasty cold that is keeping my head stuffed in the clouds *sigh*

I love your little angel and the shabby girl is precious too. She looks like she is daring anyone to touch her little boat ;-)

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

They both look fantastic! :) I know! I love kitties, too. :)

audrey said...

Hi Pink.
I love your shabby folk art girl with the wax on her. I have yet to try wax. I bet it does smell good.
I am not liking this darkness at 5:00!!! And we have a long way to go before that changes. It makes me feel like I should be going to bed immediately after dinner. LOL
Have a great week.
♥ audrey

Annie Lightbulb said...

Love the heart lips, so cute!

Magic Love Crow said...

Hello my friend ;o) Love the new art! Betty, is it hard to use bee wax? Where do you buy it? Please keep putting kitties in your art! I love them! Take Care ;o)

Rosemary said...

Love these new pieces........

Rosemary said...

Love these new pieces........

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to turning the clocks back to get that extra hour in on the weekend. ;-)

I love your precious girls. They are always so whimsical and contain a bit of the soul. So sweet, my friend.

Maggie said...

Betty, your paintings are so wonderful! I love them. I wish I had space to play with encaustics, but I have way too many crafty supplies already.

Annie Lightbulb said...

Love your beeswax girls, their so cute! Isn't beeswax so nice to use?
I don't have my old blog sorry. I changed the name then couldn't go back, someone else took over the name. My own fault. I miss it a little, but still know no one can take me other than me away from myself,lol!
Thank you for coming to my new blog, so nice to be able to share with you still. :)

SaraLynnArt said...

I think the kittens are a great touch! My pets are such a huge part of my life that I love to see pets in art - it helps me connect with it more! <3

Anonymous said...

Betty, love all of your paintings.. I hope you do not throw that painting away!
I have a bread loaf of bees wax.. and so far have not used it.
I know it would give any painting a beautiful look! ;-)
Love both of these esp.. the top one..has so much character!

Pam of alwaysartistic said...

They are both beautiful!