Saturday, July 17, 2010

Big Eye'd Mermaid Illustration.

hi everyone.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to offer illustrations in my soon to be opened second Etsy shop. It's a lot of work! I'm not sure it's worth the effort, it's hard enough keeping one shop active. I won't bore you with all the details, lol!

Here is my latest big eyed character, with a visitor tagging along for the ride. Not sure how I would describe this illustration, it is sort of a print, but also original. The mermaid was printed on a vintage book page, then re-drew some of the lines, and added paint and other details.
I got lucky with these vintage books...they were being discarded, and I managed to get a few before that happened. This particular one is dated 1918, and I even found one dated 1890. It's nice to give old books a new life, as well as recycle. Watch for lots more illustrations on vintage pages.

It's been so hot and muggy the last few days, that it makes it quite difficult to sit in a hot little room and create. I hope you are all keeping comfortable where ever you are.
thanks for reading!

13 comments:

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Hi Betty - very cool illustration. What a great way to recycle. Hope it cools down for you soon!

Micki Wilde said...

Love the illustration, I also love painting on book pages, I just keep forgetting to do it... lol ;)

Micki x

Marlene said...

Love this one, the octopus is so cute. I have lots of old books, maybe I will give painting on the pages a try.

Julia Christie said...

Love this- especially her companion :-)

I love the creativity behind this too! Great way to recycle and make art at the same time.

Smiles

Theresa MacNaughton said...

She's beautiful - and I love her little friend! I love your new series of paintings on vintage book pages - they have been fabulous! Theresa

Heather said...

love her and the colors!
xxoo

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

Very cool! I love her little tag a long friend :-)

readingsully2 said...

That is so cute. :)

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

That would be fun to try out. Great piece!

apinkdreamer said...

she is so dreamy and beautiful...

Sueann said...

I have been keeping cool and comfy. I gifted myself a portable air conditioner for my studio!! Yeah me!!!
Your illustration is wonderful. I love her!!
Good luck on your second ETSY shop
Hugs
SueAnn

Sue said...

The whimsy in this one is fantastic! Love it!

Sue:)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Lovely mermaid!