Monday, December 13, 2010

Work in Progress and another owl ACEO

hi friends, I thought I'd show you my latest work in progress, which has been sitting in my art room unfinished for a few weeks now. (sorry for the glare-it's evening).
Today I worked on her face, and must say, how relaxing the process is! I can blend, and layer skin colors for hours, and I don't notice the time passing.  I know exactly what the title of this one will be, and hopefully the finished painting will look as good as the one in my head, lol!

I'm winding down my Christmas themed ACEOs, since time is rapidly running out. This one was finished last night. I called it ''Can we keep him?"
They really are fun to do, and for those of you who haven't tried them, they are extremely addictive. If you don't know what an ACEO is, it is a small artwork you create, no larger than a baseball card. You can use any technique you desire. The sky is the limit, and the best thing is, they are much quicker than paintings, well, usually they are quicker. I've had many that took over 2 or 3 hours, since I love adding tiny details,and I'm quite finicky about making sure everything is perfect. Something I need to loosen up on, lol!

If you read my blog you may have heard my wishing for snow. Well, last night we did get a little, maybe a few inches, after it had rained all day,  and we were expecting the temperature to drop rapidly over night. No big deal right? So this morning I bundled up, and left a couple of minutes early to warm up my car....problem was I couldn't get into my car. The doors had frozen shut, and there was no possible way to get in...I'm one of the 2 people responsible for opening my building in the morning so it's important that I get there. I was one minute from going inside and calling my boss to say I couldn't come in, when the door finally opened. This is what happens when you have a flash freexe. I won't even tell you how long it took to scrape the ice off my windows, but will say it was quite the workout first thing in the morning, lol! So if you hear my complaining that we're not getting any snow, remind me of my not-so-fun start to the day...or send me a virtual kick in the pants, lol!

thanks for reading

21 comments:

Karen Kay said...

Love her face, Pink, and her eyes really grab you and pull you in. Is she on canvas or wood or? I have taken to painting on wood lately and using my woodburning tool.

Jaime Haney said...

I really love the new pieces Betty! You oughta draw a children's book with those cute little owls!

We get a lot of that nasty icy stuff here and we also got hit Sunday. Unlike you, I'm ready for spring!! haha

Tammie Lee said...

your art is wonderful. Her face is beautiful and your blending of colors is fantastic. I got a big workout plowing the roads the other day, then shoveling the paths... and chopping wood!

Unknown said...

Your artwork is fantastic, even when unfinished. =D

Diane said...

Love her--her face just pulls you in!

Micki Wilde said...

LOVE that girl painting she is stunning!!

I know what you mean about Aceo cards being addictive, I had to stop myself from making anymore last month so I could concentrate on getting ready for Christmas, I am already having urges to create more of them though lol ;)

All the snow in my part of the UK has gone for now but we are expecting more again as the week ends, I am not looking forward to it at all!!

Warm hugs

Micki x

Rosemary said...

Both paintings are lovely but the expression on the owls priceless.

Cathy Bueti said...

Love her!! So lovely! Can't wait to see her done! Is that wood you are painting her on?

Great job so far! :)

pinkglitterfae said...

Cathy and Karen, yes it is wood. I love working on wood, it's very forgiving :-)

Lee Pierce said...

Wonderful new work, Pink! That face is already a beauty, can't wait for the finished view :)
Your ACEO is adorable!

Kristin said...

Absolutely stunning! They are both wonderful (love the Holiday owls!) and your first piece is just captivating, xo

Cathy Bueti said...

I forgot to ask you . . . what do you use to seal/finish your paintings on wood?

pinkglitterfae said...

Cathy I use either a liquitex gloss varnish, or Delta Satin varnish. I like the satin finish best, not too shiny.

Heather said...

oh, her eyes are stunning!!! cute owls too, and kitty in stocking...sweet! xxoo

Magic Love Crow said...

Betty, the new painting looks great!! I might be in trouble! And, the new aceo, adorable as always! Flash freezes are bad! Especially the black ice when driving!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Beautiful painting, can't wait to see it when it's done.

Love the aceo, so cute!

So glad you got your door open. LOL Still want some snow ?

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Wow! She is so beautiful - it's looking wonderful so far. Can't wait to see what you do to finish her. And the Christmas owls are just SOOO cute! We had a dusting of snow on Monday night - and it did get a bit icy. I am still wishing for a real snowfall - which we might actually get on Sunday night. A girl can hope...Theresa

Plumrose Lane said...

What a fabulous find you are ~ loved visiting your blog!
♥Sharon

Lauren said...

That painting is looking SO gorgeous! I love the close-up view on her face, I have been wanting to do one like that. Faces are my favorite. The ACEO is so cute--I have been doing some of those too, they are very addicting! :) ~Lauren

Nicola said...

Oh she is lovely can't wait to see her finished!!! I love painting faces too it is soooo relaxing!

readingsully2 said...

Just lovely, Pink. THat is huge, right? Another adorable owl aceo.