Sunday, February 28, 2010

Olympics and art


 hi everyone. I haven't been around very much lately.  I wasn't feeling great the last week or so, then I got hooked on the Olympics,  lol! Now I wish I had seen more of the events, but when it started, I said I wouldn't be watching anything. Today is the last event, the men's hockey featuring the US and Canada. It will be great no matter the outcome. It will be nice to be back to normal after today though.

Artwise, yesterday I ruined another of my drawings on vintage paper....and believe me, I had some choice curse words about that! The drawing itself I liked, it was simple, kind of gothic, and then I went to spray a varnish protector on it. Well, I ended up with spots on the paper, and there is nothing I can do about it. I will keep it for myself since you can only see the spots close up , and will re-do it again.
So learn from my mistake folks...never use a spray varnish on paper unless you test it first!

This weekend I created a couple of ACEOs on black paper. I had done a bunch a couple of years ago which I liked, but it's amazing how much you grow and improve. These ones I think, turned out much better...this one is Caroline, the racoon we 'met' last summer which I blogged about here.


 I will leave you with one tip I discovered helps me in my art journaling... I have a very hard time working on my journal, as the whole process doesn't flow for me. What I started doing is prepping the pages in advance with color combinations I got from this fantastic book called the Color Scheme Bible.  Pick a color combo you like, and use it to put down colors. I do several pages at a time. Then I have a pile of clippings from magazines I just went through, so I pick images that appeal to me and glue them down on the page that I think they work with. Then, just journal. Write down how your day is going or any interesting thoughts you have.

I realised that if you don't write down your moments,  they are soon forgotten, and life really is lived in the moments. Why not put them down while they are fresh in your mind? Believe me, I have never consistently  done art journaling, but I will be making an effort now...I was hung up on feeling like the pages had to be artistic, or creative. The important thing is to just get your life down on the page.
Using a book with color ideas already planned out has made all the difference in the world, since color theory is not something I am good at.  The hard work is done by others who do understand color. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can...the more you do, the more confident and creative you become.

Here is a page I did yesteday, and today I will be journaling on it.

10 comments:

Nicola said...

Love the raccoon, what a cutie!! And your advice on journalling was very helpful thank you!!!

Sueann said...

That is a great idea to keep the flow of journaling! Thanks!
Hugs
SueAnn

Rosanne said...

Lovely pages!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

LOL Betty, I am not a sports person at all and have been watching the Olympics like crazy. I love that with my Tivo I can tape it all and watch what I want when I want!

Sorry about the ruined artwork! ;(

Love the new artwork!

Cool journal ideas!

Rosemary said...

I too was hooked on the O's. Love your work Caroline is cute!

MagicMarkingsArt said...

great journaling advise and - yikes - I'm sure you were heartbroken after spraying your paper - been there before and it drives me crazy!

Marlene said...

Love the owls and raccoon. The journal pages are great! I am going to try and start a journal but like you I have not felt on top of things the past couple of weeks. I like the idea of doing the colors first and then adding as the days come up.

Mandala Michelle said...

You are so productive! I haven't touched my journal in forever. Maybe I'll splash some paint on a few pages today. Thanks!

Amy Perrotti said...

Great post! Love your Olympics art! I have been wanting to do some ACEOs by hand too. I guess I just need to get some good paper and cut it to size and have it around for when I get an idea. I keep thinking I will just cut something out of my sketch book to use but I never take my hand drawings to completion. I usually finish them on the computer. Your post is prodding me to do something about it. Thanks Betty! Your journaling is looking beautiful as well. :)

Charmaine D'Silva said...

Those are great! And i do love the idea of journalling but never actually kept up with it. i know what you mean as well about being sucked into that OLYMPIC void. I think I was missing for a month! Keep it all up..they are wonderful.
xoxo